Rare Earth Processing Facility
The Government of Saskatchewan and SRC are excited to announce the development of a Rare Earth Processing Facility - the first-of-its-kind in Canada - laying the foundation for a Rare Earth Element (REE) supply chain in Saskatchewan and forming an industry model for future commercial REE resource expansion in the province. Read the News Release.
See You at PDAC 2023
SRC is exhibiting at the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC) Convention, March 5-8, 2023, in Toronto, ON. Stop by Booth 500 to meet experts from across SRC!
Looking for updates on the progress of our Rare Earth Processing Facility?
Subscribe to this newsletter
Learn more about our Rare Earth Processing Facility in these resources:
SRC employs world-class REE experts and is a leader in the development of processing technologies. We are working closely with mining companies in Saskatchewan, Canada and globally on the concentration of REE ore. Learn more about our REE services.
In the news
- SRC REE Newsletter November 2022 - Read
- How SRC is Using Metal Smelting for Rare Earths - Read
- SRC REE Newsletter June 2022 - Read
- $7.5M for Rare Earth Elements Processing Facilities in Saskatchewan - Read
- SRC Achieves a Significant Milestone in Advancing Canada's Rare Earth Element Supply Chain - Read
- Building the Rare Earth Element Supply Chain: Challenges and Opportunities - Read
- Government of Saskatchewan Provides Additional Funding for SRC Rare Earth Processing Facility Expansion - Read
- SRC Signs Memorandum of Understanding with KOMIR on Critical Minerals - Read
- SRC REE Newsletter March 2022 - Read
- SRC Signs Letter of Intent with E-Tech Resources Inc. - Read
- SRC Joins Rare Earth Industry Association - Read
- SRC REE Newsletter August 2021 - Read
- SRC is a proud member of the Canadian Critical Minerals and Materials Alliance
- Saskatchewan Gets Top Global Ranking in International Mining Report - Government of Saskatchewan News Release
- Search Minerals and SRC Enter Into Memorandum of Understanding - Globe Newswire
- Vital Metals (VML) signs binding term sheet, through its subsidiary Cheetah Resources, with SRC to negotiate building and operating a rare earth extraction plant in Saskatoon, Canada - The Market Herald
“With its world-leading REE expertise, SRC is already working with industrial partners to develop company-specific REE concentration facilities in Saskatchewan, which is the precursor process to full REE processing. This Facility will allow for an environmentally sustainable, reliable, and strategic supply of REEs to be produced outside of China.”
- Mike Crabtree, SRC President and CEO
Stay up to date
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive the latest news on SRC's Rare Earth Processing Facility.
Interested in bidding on work?
SRC Purchasing handles all requests for proposals, estimates and quotations to solicit bids for procurement contracts related to this Facility. Available opportunities will be posted on SaskTenders (Organization Type: Crown Corporation > Saskatchewan Research Council).
For more information, please contact SRC Purchasing by email or phone at 1-306-933-5400.
The conversion of REE ore to individual REE products is done in two main stages. The first is the concentration of ore to mixed REE product. The second is the more complex separation stage that converts the mixed REE product to commercial pure-grade individual rare earth oxides. The Facility will address both stages of REE processing.
Canada has some of the largest known reserves (measured) and resources (indicated) of REEs in the world, estimated at over 14 million tonnes of rare earth oxides (2021).
REEs are used in a variety of industrial applications, including electronics, clean energy, aerospace, automotive and defence.
Questions? Get in touch with our team.
Dr. Muhammad Imran is the Vice-President of SRC's REE Division. He started as a research engineer in the EOR Field Development Business Unit and then was assigned the responsibilities of Business Unit Manager in 2013. He then became the Director of Operations EOR Processes and Field Development. He has a PhD in Chemical Engineering. His career highlights at SRC include many research projects, such as innovative proofs of concept, development and optimization of medium and heavy oil EOR processes, lab-scale equipment design, and physical and mathematical modelling.
Dr. Jack Zhang is an Associate Vice-President, Strategic Technologies in SRC's Mining and Minerals Division. He has over 20 years of extensive industrial, engineering, operation and research experience. His major areas of focus include the processing of rare earth, uranium, potash and phosphate, rare metals, lithium, industrial minerals, as well as tailings/mine water/effluent treatment. At SRC, he has led and supervised numerous mineral processing, metallurgical testing, optimization and R&D projects for global clients.
Dr. Baodong Zhao manages SRC's Mineral Processing team. He has more than 25 years of experience in metallurgical engineering and project management, particularly in rare earth mineral processing and hydrometallurgy. Baodong has led and participated in laboratory and pilot plant test work, as well as Preliminary Economic Assessments covering sample preparation, mineralogical characterization, beneficiation, hydrometallurgy and REE separation.
Rare Earth Processing Facility Fact Sheet - View
Rare Earth Processing Facility FAQs - View
SRC Rare Earth Services - Learn more
Strategic metals on horizon as SRC looks for next 'big idea' - Read more
Saskatchewan - The Next Big Producer of Rare Earth Elements? - Read more
SRC Rare Earth Separation Pilot Plant Part of Appia Energy Proposal - Read more
Can innovation in rare earths solve processing challenges? - Read more