Share your best photos of the Lorado Mill Site!
Deadline extended! Send us your photos by October 15, 2019.
SRC's Project CLEANS team is gathering photos of the tailings cover area at the Former Lorado Mill Site to document ecosystem recovery following remediation completion. We'd like your help!
Send us your best photos of the tailings area at the former Lorado Mill Site in the following categories for your chance to win one of six $100 Visa gift cards and SRC branded gear:
- This contest is only open to residents of the Athabasca Basin.
- Photos will be accepted starting May 20 until October 15, 2019.
- Photos must have been taken at the Lorado Mill Site between 2017-2019. Photos taken before this time frame do not qualify.
- Photos must be digital files and not printed copies. They also must be originals.
- Send us up to 20 of your best high-resolution digital photos at the largest file size you have. You may need to send your photos in separate emails. If you cannot send your photos by email, please contact us to arrange an alternative way to submit your photos.
- If you submit close-up photos, please also submit a photo that shows the entire site so that the judges can verify the photo was taken at the Lorado tailings area. We also recommend you geotag your photos so they have location data (see the FAQ below for instructions on how to do this).
Read the full Lorado Mill Photo Contest terms and conditions.
The Former Lorado Mill Site is a remediated uranium mill site that is currently in the monitoring phase. Please take precaution when accessing the site and follow all safety signs. Here are some tips for safely taking photos.
how to enter
- Download and complete the contest entry form - click here.
- Add your name to the file name of the photos you are entering (e.g, LisaSmith-photo 1).
- Email your entry form and photos to email@example.com. (If you can't email the photos, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange another way to submit your photos.) Write "Lorado Photo Contest" in the subject line, along with your name.
- You don't need to specify what category your photo belongs in. SRC's Project CLEANS team will choose which photos best represent the categories.
SRC will notify the contest winners and announce the winners, if possible, during community events. Winners will also be announced in the fall issue of the Project CLEANS newsletter.
prizes and judging
There will be two prize draws in 2019: one in late July and one in September. Your photos (except the winning entries from the first round will not be included in the second round) will be considered for both prize draws.
One winner in each of the three categories (Wildlife, Vegetation and Landscape) will receive a $100 Visa gift card and SRC swag. There are 6 prizes in total.
The contest winners will be selected by a panel of judges from SRC’s Project CLEANS team. The winning photographs will be selected based on:
- How well the photo represents the tailings area at the Lorado Mill Site and prize categories
- Originality and creativity
No, the photos you enter for this contest cannot have people in them for privacy reasons.
We only accept digital files.
With permission from the contest winners, SRC's Project CLEANS team will use the photos in reports and presentations to document the ecosystem recovery of the tailings cover area at Lorado. No photos submitted will be used without prior permission from the photo owner.
Read the Lorado Mill Photo Contest terms and conditions for more information - click here.
The winners will be announced at SRC community events and in the fall Project CLEANS newsletter.
We will award the prize in another category.
We recommend that you geotag your photos. Follow the steps below for the two most common cell phone systems. If you don't want to geotag your photos, only submit photos that show the entire site (or submit a second photo of the entire site if you send us a close-up).
- Open "Settings" on your iPhone
- On the Settings screen, scroll down and tap "Privacy"
- On the Privacy screen, tap "Location Services"
- On the Location Services screen, scroll down to "Camera"
- On the Camera screen, tap on "While Using the App" which will add location info to your photos.
- Open the Camera app on your Android
- Tap on the three horizontal lines to open the menu
- Tap on the gear icon
- You will see the camera settings
- Tap on "GPS tag"